Historic Designation Committee Meeting
Wednesday July 26, 2023, 6:30pm
Emily Taff, Committee Chair, began the meeting via Zoom, 8 other committee members in attendance, 1 guest, Aaron Fortner.
Checkin - nothing to discuss
Community Meeting Planning with Aaron - Aaron Fortner led committee through the draft agenda/outline for the 1st Community meeting (Aug 4) which will cover:
Sidebar - in the chat a suggestion about a facebook discussion group was raised once again as a place to ask questions of the committee and engage in discussion - this obviously would be a great idea, we will need some help monitoring it. Sounds preferable to Nextdoor to some.
CPNO Funding Ask - Brief discussion. Feedback at the meeting was to stick with the ask presented at last week’s CPNO Meeting: a $5K donation which will ensure we can pay Aaron now, while we continue to raise $$ from individuals and up to $15K in matching funds donation (CPNO would only match what we raise).
Next meeting will be Aug. 23, 6:30 pm via Zoom
COMMUNITY MEETING #1 - Aug. 24! (Zoom and at First E)
Historic Designation Committee Meeting
Wednesday June 28, 2023, 6:30pm
Emily Taff, Committee Chair, began the meeting via Zoom, 7 people total in attendance (Aaron Fortner on vacation)
Checkin - just want start off each meeting with a check in about what y'all are hearing and if there's anything we need to address.
- Website thoughts included a new graphic that could be easily updated to let folks know where we are in this process and what’s coming up?
- Fundraising - Individuals, businesses - we need to reach out to invested or interested folks we know.
Discussed fundraising and CPNO Ask:
What? Reviewed Aaron Fortner’s original estimate (schedule had changed) which is broken down by task and costs - actual original estimate is at $29K, discussed and agreed on putting $35K as our fundraising goal.
Why? Why we need to spend money for this? All funds will go toward paying a consultant, Aaron Fortner, to facilitate this process, lead neighborhood meetings, answer questions, and draft the regulations with the committee’s assistance making sure neighborhood input is heard and incorporated. We want to make sure this neighborhood engagement is done as well, as thoroughly and inclusively as possible. Aaron Fortner has the expertise to guide our neighborhood through this process from a neighborhood engagement, historic district, and planning perspective, he also has no “skin in the game” for a CP Historic District. Having a third, unbiased party facilitating these conversations should help this process be as unbiased as possible. The committee will assist, committee members have and will continue to donate costs for printing, time, etc. as needed.
How? Fundraising is 2 parts, we are raising money from individuals and businesses in order to alleviate the CPNO contribution but CPNO’s contribution is important. Committee discussed:
a. simple Matching dollar for dollar up to XX amount (such as half?). This puts pressure on the committee to raise more money up front on our own which may be tricky or put us in a tight spot later.
b. Ask for $5,000 now and “up to $15,000” matching dollar for dollar - Everyone thought that seemed reasonable and helpful to our financial needs.
When? Timing - CPNO policy is to announce major votes (including votes on CPNO spending more than $500) at least 5 days ahead, however, CPNO practice of late has been to introduce a “major vote” at one meeting before for discussion, followed by a vote at the next meeting on a final motion. Considering asking in July with a membership vote in August. Emily will discuss with CPNO Board.
Community Meeting Planning
- Emily working with Christina on learning the ropes of the hybrid meetings in preparation for the Community Meetings starting in August.
- discussed briefly signage/media needs for the in person meetings, John Skach will help.
- Volunteers will help at the in-person meetings, and help with publicity including passing out fliers.